If you’ve been around long enough, you’ve probably heard the saying “You are what you eat”. This is true. But I will revise this, “You are also what you plant”. If you plant an apple seed, what would grow? Of course, you would get an apple tree. Just as an apple seed is planted and then produces fruit so do you. Except your “fruits” aren’t edible like an apple or orange. They are the characteristics you possess. There are nine fruits that everyone should bear:
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
You’ll notice that all of these are good characteristics for us to have. Love is the first fruit that is mentioned (we have already done countless articles on love).
Normally, people find some of these fruits easier to do than others. If you are unsure which one you struggle in, read these questions and answer them:
- Do you hold grudges and have a hard time forgiving? Work on love.
- Are you depressed, ungrateful, or unsatisfied with life? Work on joy.
- Do you argue a lot, look for trouble, or try to cause problems? Work on peace.
- Do you have a problem with waiting or always trying to rush? Work on patience.
- Are you selfish or rude? Work on kindness.
- Do you do wrong purposely or try to cause harm? Work on goodness.
- Do you stay true to your word? Are you dependable? Work on faithfulness.
- Are you a mean person? Work on gentleness.
- Are you easily angered? Work on self-control.
So what kinds are fruits are you bearing? Good ones? Bad ones? Or in between? If you “eat” the right “fruits”, you will become better; likewise if you “eat” the wrong “fruits” it’ll show in your daily life. The Bible states that against these fruits “there is no law”. No matter who you are or where you are, practicing these fruits will not lead you into trouble. They benefit you and others around you. Each month will we focus on one of the fruits. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, but with practice you can embody all of these characteristics with ease.